Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dateline: 2007

2005, 2006 slid by quickly! Got my yearly flu shot and got my 5 year pneumonia shot in 2006. Dr G gave me samples of Advair when he could. Then Spiriva. Advair was becoming less and less effective and Spiriva seemed to do nothing at all for me.

May 2007 - My medications were switched to CombiVent & Flovent. - inhalers.
October 31, 2007 - feverish, short of breath, congestion. Felt like death warmed over *L* Called the doctor and the receptionist made the appointment for first thing in the morning. It took ALL my effort to get into the car and drag my sorry butt to the doctors office - and even though there is an elevator on site, my SOB was pretty obvious. When I arrived at the 'window' where the receptionist sits, there is no way in hades she could not see what shape I was in! .. Yet she advised me they could not see me due to the fact I still owed from the previous visit/tests. I told her I could pay for today or for the last visit but not both. She said sorry they could not see me.

I am sure my jaw hit the floor. Nearly out of my mind in pain, and so stressed from not being able to breathe, I stumbled to my car and sat there and cried! knowing full well that crying would make my breathing worse *L*  ARGH! I knew I could not pay for an ER visit. I drove toward home, calling my Brother and whining to him (he goes to the same doctor) - just needing an ear. Knowing he could not help but was good talking to him.

An Angel appeared by golly *L* . on my way back to my house, I passed by a brand new building that I had not noticed before. Woah! It's a MEDICAL building - a satelite office of a well known hospital "GBMC".  Somehow I managed to get into their front door and then sat down immediately. The kind nurses rushed to my side - how calm they made me. ---- and so started my ritual with prednizone! My friend says Prednizone - the drug we hate to love.

October 31, 2007 - Diagnosis: Bronchitis & asthma exacerbation.
Treatment: Nebulizer at the doctors office using albuteral and ipratroprium
Medication: Prednizone, antiobiotic, use albuterol inhaler as needed. Increase use of combivent to 2 puffs every four hours.

November 28, 2007 - For Thanksgiving, we had cooked a turkey with spices. I became increasingly short of breath not long after eating. The culprit -  the combined cooking smells and people colognes.
Nebulizer treatment, prednizone, antibiotic. Combivent every 4 hours, albuterol as needed.

ARGH! what a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment